Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mmmmm, chicken.

Something I have wanted to do for a while is use this for posting recipes. Seriously. I have lost a lot of weight in the last few years and most recently my progress has been because of the extensive use of specific recipes. I got them from a source I can not name, but here's my problem - I only use about 4-5 consistently my wonderfully understanding family is tired of them.

So...I will share recipes on here. Send (e-mail) or post yours as comments. I am looking for lean, protein heavy meals. I love the following ingredients: Chicken, rice, black beans, garlic, olive oil, peas. My wife is sick of: Chicken, rice, black beans, and PEAS! My son has none of it and basically eats Oreos, candy, etc...while looking at me and smiling. I'll remember that.

First one. It's one of my favorites. It's a 1 disher - like most good ones - and can be used as leftovers for days. I'll call it Southwest Chicken Medley....

1 package of chicken cutlets/tenders/breast cut into small pieces
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
Olive Oil
1 Small to Med Onion (your preference)
1 package of Vigo yellow rice
1 can of organic black beans
1 small package of peas
shredded Mexican cheese - up to you how much. The more the better it tastes, but the higher the fat content.

Prepare the rice according to the instructions on the side of the package. I use a rice cooker which is a godsend for as much rice as I eat. Make sure to use Olive oil instead of the margarine/butter.

Dice the peppers and onion. Put into large skillet along with chicken and 2 tbl of olive oil (helps to preheat the oil a bit before adding everything). Saute over med heat until chicken is fully cooked and onions are completely transparent. I tend to err on the side of overcooking here. I basically go until almost all of the juices and oil have been cooked off and/or absorbed. Don't let it completely dry out.

By now the rice should almost be done or already complete. Cook the peas (I use those microwave bags). Add the peas and the beans to the rice in a casserole dish. Stir together. Add the chicken, pepper, and onions mixture. Add in cheese to preference. Stir together until cheese melts.

Plate and serve with low fat sour cream. Some may like some organic salsa on top or chopped green onions for garnish. I love this dish. Perfect for dinner and lunch the following day. Great energy meal with tons of fiber and protein. Most of the fat content is good fat content. It can be made leaner or fatter depending on your mood/tastes.

try it and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Arron said...

what the hell martha stewart?!@? where is the self loathing? dont you suck? arent you so not ready for the ride? sh!t you are going to kick my arse this weekend arent you?!@! i gotta go. later.

CyLowe said...

I like food.