Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fall Fling TT Route

I mapped out what I believe to be the course based on what ABD had listed on their website. for some reason whenever I try to embed MapMyRide routes into my blog now it bombs out so you'll have to follow the link.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/il/maple-park/577839343547

Basic stats: 9.25 miles with approx 210ft of climbing (I don't like how you have to calculate their elevation so don't rely on it). Basically fast and flat. Wicked fast and flat. You head out going East and then turn North. You do shortened legs back South and West....meaning if the wind is from the South or West like it always seems to be around Maple Park then you will have a tailwind for ove 1/2 of the route. If its coming out of the Southwest it will be a huge help.

That does leave finishing into the wind though....

I'm trying to get my hands on a disk wheel for the event and depending on the weather outlook (wind speed) I might try to land an 808 or better on the front. As a "fallback" I have inputflangeman's 404's - thank you baby jesus.

RJBTrek mentioned that 24.something took it last year. I am hoping for the best.

4 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Is it called an 808 because if you add 404 by itself that is the total?

If not, I'm lost.

Psimet said...

404 and 808 are the model numbers given to Zipp's Aero wheels. Generally speaking the higher the number the "deeper" (taller/thicker) the rim cross section is.

An 808 has an 81.25mm depth http://www.zipp.com/wheels/detail.php?ID=48#
While a 404 has a 58mm depth
http://www.zipp.com/wheels/detail.php?ID=47#

Also generally speaking the deeper the rim the more aerodynamic it is. Usually at the expense of weight.

Picking the wheel depth has to do with factors such as wind speed/direction (the deeper the rim on the front the more the wind will push it = the less stable it is), weight, etc.

Arron said...

GL, you just had to ask didnt you!@?! :)

Psimet said...

404's just got dropped off in my office. Can I get a "hell yeah"?!